How can I get the student visa to Brazil?


student visa to brazil

The new Brazilian immigration law granting to the foreigner who is already in Brazil request a residence permit. However, the process of granting a temporary visa based on study purposes has not ceased to exist, and it is possible that the interested party may request the issuance at a consular office in Brazil abroad.

Therefore, the interested party who is abroad must issue a temporary student visa. On the other hand, if already in Brazil, can apply for a residence permit for studies at the Federal Police Department.

Some nationalities are exempt from visa as long as they do not exceed the period of 90 days of stay. The counting of the period of stay has some specificities. Therefore, if the interested party intends to stay in Brazil for more than 90 days, he / she must apply for a student visa, as well as nationals of countries that do not have a visa waiver agreement for Brazil.

  Who is eligible for apply a student visa or residence permit?

  •  To carry out an international exchange to improve their academic training (undergraduate, graduate – master’s, doctorate, PHD);
  • Conducting a regular language course;
  • High school students (for example:  those who are regularly enrolled in the French Rotary or AFS program). 

Does the holder of the visa or authorization for study purposes be able to undertake an internship?

Internship is considered a supervised educational act that aims to complement academic studies.

The Brazilian internship law nº: 11.788 /2008 should be considered, especially regarding the maximum workload limitations and the prohibition on receiving salary by the internship.

Practical information to apply a visa or residence permit based on studies:

Some documents that the interested party must provide are:

  • Original passport valid with at least 2 blank pages;
  • 1 photo; 
  • Visa application form duly filled;
  • Consular fee;
  • Birth certificate (is important check if is necessary translate to portuguese language);
  • Non criminal records issued by the authority abroad;
  • Non criminal records issued by the brazilian authority, if applicable;
  • Evidence of financial resources (example: scholarship);
  • Registration statement from the foreign educational institution;
  • Letter of acceptance from the brazilian institution notarized by the public notary in Brazil;
  • Term of  commitment signed by all parties.

How can we help you?

We can take care of your process. 

Contact our team to get more information about our immigration advisory.