How to obtain a Visa to Brazil based on family reunion?
The new brazilian migration law in its Art. 30, provides for the possibility of granting a residence permit based on family reunion, provided that the immigrant is in one of the situations established in the Art. 153 of Decree No. 9199/2007:
• I – spouse or partner, without any discrimination, under the terms of the Brazilian legal system;
• II – child of Brazilian or immigrant beneficiary of residence permit;
• III – who has a Brazilian child;
• IV – who has an immigrant child benefiting from a residence permit;
• V – up to the second degree of Brazilian or immigrant beneficiary of residence permit;
• VI – descendant to the second degree of Brazilian or immigrant beneficiary of residence permit;
• VII – brother of Brazilian or immigrant beneficiary of residence permit; or
• VIII – who has Brazilian under his guardianship and curatorship.
A residence permit based on a family reunion must be filed in Brazil with the Federal Police Department corresponding to the jurisdiction of residence of the CALLING holder and his CALLER dependent.
An immigrant who already has a residence permit based on a family reunion will not be able to request a family reunion to another member as a SPONSOR.
It’s important to emphasis that, the authorization for family reunion purposes will be conditional upon the prior granting of residence permit for the CALLING relative.
Does the residence permit based on family reunification have the same effects as the former request for permanence based on child or marriage with a Brazilian?
Yes. The new immigration law revoked the former foreign statute. Given this, the new migration law framed the requests for stay based on child or marriage with Brazilian national as family reunion.
What documents should I submit to the Federal Police Department?
The required documentation can be obtained through the Federal Police website or directly at the police station where the residence permit application will be filed.
We recommend with the applicant to check in advance the list of documents to be delivered. Changes may occur at any time, and it is up to the Brazilian authorities to update the requirements in accordance with their internal guidelines and bilateral agreements with certain countries.
Should I make an electronic appointment before attending the Federal Police?
In most cases, yes.
Make sure the federal police department near your home already uses the electronic scheduling system.
I’m abroad; can I get a family reunion visa for my dependents?